Friday, June 3, 2011

FOODIE FRIDAY - John's Famous Bruschetta

My husband is not really into cooking.  Of-course he totally was when he was wooing me (yes, I used the word woo...man am I getting old) but then he found out I was way better at it than him.

But every so often in the summer he will make his famous Bruschetta (and I know that the proper way to pronounce it is Brus-ket-ta but I can't pull it off and beside that I'm not Italian...and besides that it totally annoys me when people, especially when they're clearly not Italian pronounce it as such and since we're on the subject of pronunciation, tomato is pronounced toe-may-to not toe-mah-to - unless you're British and then you can say whatever you want and it sounds lovely).  Furthermore, that song "You say tomato, I say tomahto, you say potato, I say potahto" is ridiculous.  If ever one were to say potahto to me I might smack you.

And now that I've gotten that off my chest I can move on.

Since it's our 5 year wedding anniversary next Friday, meaning that that post will trump my regular Foodie Friday post (sorry folks, I know how much you look forward to my AH-MAY-ZINGly original recipes but you'll just have to wait with baited breath until the week after) I thought I'd pay homage to my husband's rare culinary skills, provided he puts his mind to it.  He actually is a very cook when he tries.

Before you start (as I know you're sitting there with cutting boards and ingredients all raring to go) I will give you one bit of advice.  DO NOT use low fat feta cheese.  Eating any kind of low fat cheese is like eating low fat ice cream.  It never satisfies and you're always left wanting more of the crap, in the end consuming more calories and fat grams than you would have had you just indulged in the good stuff.  You see how that works?  It's a vicious cycle.

Plus the texture of low fat cheese is as rubbery as an old sneaker.

Not that I've ever eaten a shoe or anything.

JOHN'S FAMOUS BRUSCHETTA

5-6 tomatoes chopped

2 medium onions chopped and sauteed

3-4 garlic cloves minced and sauteed

LOTS of fresh basil chopped

LOTS of feta cheese

Salt and Pepper

1 french baguette sliced, buttered or brushed w/ olive oil and baked in the oven at 375 for 4-5 mins or just until golden.


Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl stick a tablespoon in there and serve alongside warm baguette slices.

This will serve LOTS of people and is perfect to serve at a backyard bbq party.


*CUE MUSIC*

5 comments:

paradigmjohn said...

...Even better if you have a chance to let the mix sit in the fridge and "chill out" for a 1/2 hour or so. This warm bread, cool mix is nice plus by letting all the ingredients come together it really lets the flavour POP.

YUM!!!

Amber_D said...

I love bruschetta! Though I've never been brave enough to try and make it. Perhaps now I will give it a try. Though it is a rocky romance the stove and I have.

On the subject of pronunciations, I used to work at an italian restaurant as a teenager. On the menu we had "Chicken Parmigiana" and I cannot tell you how many times a day I absolutely CRINGED at the awkwardness that was customers trying to say this word.

parenting ad absurdum said...

Yum!! It seems to be a guy thing that they have one fabulous thing to make - that's how they trick us into thinking they can cook. My husband makes a mean meatloaf...

Melissa said...

This is my second time attempting to comment. And, it's not that I'm just frustrated. I also feel foolish and stupid and really, really bad about myself right now. Why can't I do this?! Anyway, it's not you... it's me. Just wanted to say, thanks for commenting on my blog because it brought me over here. I love what I've read so far. Consider me your newest fan. Unless someone else just discovered your blog in the last hour or so. Then, consider me your second newest fan... or third newest. Whatever.

Ado said...

OMG you look so BEAUTIFUL - especially the one of you on the beach! What a brilliant looking couple, what a special day - I was so happy to get to read about your wedding (happy anniversary, belated). Also re. the stuff that goes wrong in a wedding - like the rings getting dropped or the music cuing too soon - there is always something that goes wrong, and I often find that these somethings make the day even more memorable because they give you that story to tell through the generations. (-: