Friday, March 2, 2012

Only yesterday was the time of our lives...

After the usual chaos of dinner we bundled up for a walk around the block.

Us, the boys and the dog.

Adrian's hand in mind.  Finley's hand in John's.

John's other hand holding the leash of our family pet.

It was cold and drizzly but that didn't stop us.

We walked, we talked softly, we jumped over shadows illuminated by drizzly golden streetlight.

John whistled and I intermittently sang the song to his melody.

It was officially our first family walk together.  No sling, no stroller, no piggybacks.

We all simply just....strolled along.  Together.

Inside the warmth of our home, gloves, hats, boots and coats became strewn about.

We trudged up the stairs, into Adrian's room and I began to read amongst soft lamplight, pillows and favourite blankies a most beautiful book to my sons.

*"On the day that we met and I put you to bed,
I noticed a crown on the top of your head...

...Your crown is your best friend forever, by far.
It tells the true story of just who you are.

That's why every night, when I put you to bed, 
I'm careful to kiss the crown on your head"

After the book we scooted over to our bedroom and laid there, the four of us in our big comfy bed.

Adrian slid down and off my side of the bed and turned on the bedside alarm clock radio.

He fiddled with dial for a few seconds. There was static and fuzz.  John began to protest....

And then....

'.....I heard that your dreams came true......'

A familiar voice to my son made him stop fiddling and we caught each other's eyes.

He smiled proudly and climbed up to curl in beside me...

And we laid there, still.

The four of us.

In our big comfy bed.

'You know how the time flies

Only yesterday was the time of our lives

We were born and raised in a summer haze

Bound by the surprise of our glory days'

Finley came over and gave me a kiss goodnight, laying his head briefly and sweetly on my shoulder then was quietly carried with John.  His Daddy.

Sweet dreams sweet son...I love you.

I whispered to my eldest son, "You are a special boy."

He sat up and touched the curls atop his head and asked, "Why? Because I wear a crown?"

Oh my love...yes...and so, so much more.

It's my very hopes and dreams that you and your brother always know this...forever believing in yourselves.

It's never more clear or more true until you become a parent how time flies by...faster every day.  Every month.  Every year.

As I listened to the words and the quiet breathing of my eldest at my side, I all of a sudden saw John and myself 25 years from now laying in bed together.

Reminiscing about the surprise of our glory days.

Wondering how ever could we have known how 'bittersweet this would taste...'



(*'The Crown on your Head' by Nancy Tillman)

7 comments:

my3littlebirds said...

What a sweetly written memory. I just know that 5, 10, and 20 years from now you'll be so glad that it was written down. Lovely.

Stacey said...

Love this reminder that we're living our glory days. Beautifully written. I'm looking forward to checking out The Crown on Your Head, too.

Natalie @MamaTrack said...

This is stunning. I know these feelings, and I'm so glad you shared them with us.

What a lovely post!

Galit Breen said...

Ohmyheart, stunning.

(And yes, fast - fleeting - sweet - all of that).

xo

anymommy said...

Bedtime never fails to bring on the bittersweet feeling of time passing for me. A lovely memory to keep.

Ado said...

I'm with Galit ---> ohmyheart, stunning.
January there's something so comforting about your writing style and the things you write about. It's lovely.
PS: Thanks-thanks-thanks for linking up and helping us celebrate! (-:

Susan said...

most days i'm a heartless b***h, and i'm totally crying over here. thanks so much for sharing this memory - it's truly wonderful.