Friday, November 11, 2011

FOODIE FRIDAY - Time for some THAI!

I used to be vegetarian.  A long time ago.

Okay, not totally.  I ate fish.  Tuna really.

Sometimes.

Alright, so I basically existed on baked beans, Mr Noodles, peanut butter and perogies.

I figured the beans and the p.b. covered protein and iron and then with the occasional tuna sandwich I was totally healthy.

Except I wasn't.

I became anemic.  I was tired all the time, my skin turned grey and I was pretty sick for a while in high school.

Then I began to eat chicken and it seemed that turned things around.  I only ate chicken and fish for about 7 years or so and then one day I woke up hankering for a hamburg.

It was the most delicious hamburger I've ever eaten.

Since then I've been a lover of red meat.  Up until I became pregnant I was all about a rare steak.  And then I wasn't.

Though I'll never be a well done kinda girl (get your mind out of the gutter) I like to see pink in my meat but seeing any sort of red liquid flowing out of it makes me want to hurl.

I've always felt the need to have a meat course with our dinner...but why?  It's not necessary and not all that healthy.

I will never become a vegetarian again, I assure you.  But I don't see the need to have meat every single day.  So I've been cooking a lot more vegetarian meals lately.  I wasn't sure how my husband would take it (he's a man...man. eat. meat)  but he's been a great sport and support.

Now, before you write me off with a click off, hear me out!  If you like thai food, I have a great recipe to try.  It's not hard AT ALL but it does takes a bit of prep time.  It's worth it though...when finished they look amazing and taste just as good.

Here goes.

THAI  COLD SPRING ROLLS (serves 2 - 4)

6 rice paper wrappers (found in your local international section - they are round)
mango (ripe)
red pepper
carrot
cucumber
green onion chopped
mint leaves (or basil)
small handful of roasted peanuts finely chopped

DIPPING SAUCE

1/2 cup of sweet Thai chili sauce
1 tbsp lime juice (optional)
1tbsp rice vinegar (optional)

DIPPING SAUCE 2 (all mine!)

1/2 cup natural smooth peanut butter
2 tsp soya sauce
2 tsp lime juice or rice vinegar
2 tsp honey

DIRECTIONS

Cut all vegetables and fruit in a julienne style (julienne is cut into match-like sticks).

 I didn't specify amounts because I have no idea...just be logical.  You don't need to use the entire vegetable or fruit - we're only doing 6 rolls here people.  Take it easy.

Soak the rice noodles in hot water for about 10 mins, drain and toss with about a tbsp of sweet chili sauce.

Soak the rice paper one at a time in warm water until soft and pliable - about a 30 seconds.

Along bottom edge of wrapper, leaving about 1 inch uncovered on each side place veg, fruit, nuts and herbs (depending on how much you like of each, this is all up to you...be creative....get CRAZAAY! - but not too crazy - you still have to roll it up)

Fold sides in and tightly roll up.  Repeat until all six are complete.  Keep fresh by placing a damp clean (do I really have to specify clean?) tea towel over the finished product until serving time.

When serving cut in half and serve alongside the dipping sauce(s).

Voila!!!

1 comment:

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

MMM, sounds yummy. I have been vegetarian in my past. I like to have meat here and there though!