Friday, September 23, 2011

FOODIE FRIDAY - Roast THIS!

Happy Friday lovelies and handsomes.

First I must acknowledge the fact that I missed 2 Foodie Fridays in a row.

I'm sorry.  I hope you found some other just as fabulous recipes to cook for your family.  Please don't starve yourselves on account of me.

I have excuses!

My computer has been acting quite zesty as of late and I've been relegated to writing in my laundry slash storage room as that's the only place it's been getting a full signal and even then it acts terribly moody.

Not that I can blame it.

If you have a laundry slash storage room such as mine you might find it very uninspirational and actually quite sketchy at best.

I managed to have the occasional lightning bolt of inspiration, however it's been quite random.

And writing about food in a crappy room with dim lighting and clothes hanging over my head didn't do me any favours.

However, I'm back.  Sorta.

Actually, I'm sitting outside my laundry room on the floor but it's better than being in there.


Onto food talk.

It's Fall!  If you didn't already know that.  And there are so many things I love about Autumn but I especially love the abundance of vegetables and fruits that are in season.

Right now I'm really into roasting vegetables.  It's so quick to put together, healthy, super scrumptious  AND very versatile.  You can serve them over rice, pasta (with some feta cheese - OH YUM), mashed potatoes or simply with some great crusty bread or buns.  If you have leftovers simply throw them in some eggs and voila - a delicious omelet or throw them on some pitas for an easy pizza.

Here you are folks!  Happy Eating!




Roasted Veggies  (serves 4 - 6)


1 medium eggplant sliced into 4-5 large rounds

2 large onion quartered

3 large tomatoes quartered

2 medium zucchini cut in half or fours

1 large sweet pepper cut into 5 segments

8-10 garlic cloves peeled

1/3 cup olive oil

White wine vinegar

Sugar for sprinkling

Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions


Preheat oven to 400 F

Place all vegetables in a large ceramic or glass oven proof dish

Sprinkle a couple pinches of sugar over them

Season with S&P

Pour olive oil and vinegar over top and mix well but not aggressively.  Be kind to your veggies.

Place in oven for about 45 minutes only turning once gently and only if needed (if they look like they're getting too crispy)

Do not stir!  You want your vegetables to come out looking almost like they went in except with a bit of a tan.

Remove and either serve hot or at room temperature.

Bon Appetit!


**CUE MUSIC and GET COOKIN!**

No comments: