Friday, September 2, 2011

FOODIE FRIDAY - Mumma's Split Pea Soup

Now that the fall weather is creeping upon us (slllloowwwllly - oh so slowly) I'm likely going to be doing a lot more "comfort food" recipes for my Foodie Friday editions.

Mostly because I do comfort food best.  Meatloaf, Shepherd's Pie, Spaghetti and Meatballs, Chili...you get the picture.

For me, the most soul filling, heart warming food of all is not just the food in itself it's who made that food.

It's that extra pinch of love that's added to make all the difference.

As a child and even a teenager I remember eating off of my Mom's plate.  It could have been simply toast with butter and I would have the exact same toast with butter on my own plate.  But her toast with butter?

Oh so good.  So full of flavour.  So much more delicious than my own.

My Mum jokes all the time that she doesn't cook.  Well, she really doesn't but she can.  


She can whip up a soup like no one's business and she's never made a bad meal.  Ever.

When I think of my Mum's cooking, I immediately think of her delicious split pea soup.

I asked my Mum to share her infamous recipe and she obliged with a little synapsis of her own.

Thank you Mumma!


*CUE MUSIC!*

January and her brother have always loved my home made Split Pea Soup so she requested that I post it on her blog.  There’s nothing more comforting on a cold day than a bowl of hot homemade soup.  You can substitute a ham bone if you can’t find ham hocks at your butcher or grocery store.


Ingredients:
·       2 tbsp butter
·       1 medium yellow onion, diced
·       1 large carrot, diced
·       1 stalk celery, diced
·       1 leek, white part only, washed and diced
·       2 cloves garlic, minced
·       1 x 1 ½ lb. ham hock (preferably smoked)
·       2 bay leaves
·       Pinch dried chile flakes
·       1 ½ cups green split peas
·       10 cups chicken stock
·       Salt and black pepper
·       Additional stock or water, if needed to thin the soup

1.      Heat the butter in a large soup pot on medium heat.  Add the onion, carrot, celery, leek and garlic and cook until soft (about 5 to 7 minutes).  Add the ham hock, bay leaves, thyme, chile flakes and split peas and cook 2 minutes longer.  Increase heat to high.  Add the stock and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low.  Simmer soup for 2 hours or until split peas are soft, partially covered, stirring occasionally.
2.     Remove the ham hock and take meat off bone and reserve.  Discard the bay leaves.
3.     If the soup is too thick add some more water or stock to loosen.  Add the trimmed meat, salt and pepper to taste.


1 comment:

Ellen said...

I guess it's not the time of year for a soup recipe and not everyone likes split pea soup but if they do...this is a killer recipe.