Friday, May 6, 2011

FOODIE FRIDAY - Burgers Baby!

I'm terrible at taking good pictures of food so pictures like this will have to do for now


So, after I posted The Dinner Hour and impulsively decided to include a note at the end about doing a Foodie Friday then receiving feedback that people are actually looking forward to reading it and possibly trying out my recipes I had a bit of anxiety.

Because I don't actually follow recipes myself.  The only recipes I've ever followed have had to do with baking as that's a science in itself.  But cooking?  I could probably count on one hand how many times I've followed a recipe, ingredient by ingredient, measure by measure.  I'm a fly by the seat of my pants kind of cook, so with my recipes I will be estimating....you may see a lot of "a pinch of this" or a "generous swoosh of that".  So if you are the type of person that feels better in following recipes to the t, mine may not be for you.  You'd be better off searching Epicurious or All Recipes.

Anyway, on to my "recipe".  Since we're at the bbq season (finally) or as my American comrades would say the "grilling" season I decided to start off with burgers.  Who doesn't love a good burger on a hot summer's day?  Pair that with a beer and life is good my friends.  I am a big fan of keeping things simple...no blue cheese, mango puree or dry soup mix in these babies.  I enjoy the natural taste of food and I don't like to disguise it much with wacky ingredients that you probably won't ever have in your cupboard or pantry.  I would rather enhance it with simple seasonings.  It's surprising what a little salt, pepper, garlic and basil can do for a dish.  This may make me sound like I'm a picky eater.  Rest assured, I will eat and/or try just about anything as long as it doesn't involve reptiles, bugs or a feathered friend's foot.

I am also fairly health conscious.  If you are looking to cut fat and calories you can substitute ground turkey for the ground beef in the following recipe.  It is just as delicious.

Here goes...palms are sweaty, heart is racing...the pressure is on!  I really hope you enjoy!!!

First things first...heat up the bbq!  And if you're a woman and you leave the bbq'ing to your husband I will kindly suggest that you learn.  Barbequing is very empowering!

*A handy tip:  never leave the lid closed when you fire it up.  I did that once and am lucky to still have hair (or a face for that matter).

The following will yield 4 burgers...or if you have little ones you can take one of those burgers and divide into 2 or 3 mini burgers (like sliders).   You can now find slider buns at your local grocery store which are the perfect size for your little ones hands.

1 lb of extra lean ground beef (or ground turkey for a healthier option)
1 small onion finely chopped (if your kids aren't into onions simply leave them out and put them on the side and use as a topping)
1/3 cup of fine dry Italian bread crumbs (or plain is fine too - the Italian just have some herbs mixed in)
1 egg
a few generous dashes of worcestershire
1/2 tsp of garlic powder (or you can chop up a clove of fresh garlic)
a generous pinch of salt and a few turns on your pepper mill

Mix well, form into 4 good sized patties and place on the bbq for about 10-15 mins turning halfway.
Nearing the end of the 10-15 min mark you can put some buttered (or unbuttered) buns on the grill and a slice or 2  of your favourite cheese (I like marble or old cheddar and occasionally, though we usually don't have it in our house, 'dirty cheese' (aka Kraft Singles - shout out to my BFF!)

I serve my burgers on whole wheat thintini buns as they aren't as filling as regular buns and healthier.  I am traditional in my condiments.  Yellow mustard, ketchup, sliced pickles.  Personally, I pass on the tomatoes and lettuce as I serve my burgers alongside a salad anyway but go nuts if you wish.

I hope you give these a whirl and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks for joining me on my first FOODIE FRIDAY!  *cue music*

Now crack that beer and get grilling!

1 comment:

Jenni Chiu @MommyNaniBooboo said...

That is EXACTLY how my mom used to make burgers!
That makes me love you.